Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Watoto Villages, Are you Kidding Me?







Hello my friends!  I am so sorry for the delay in posting, I think the whole "African time" is getting to me (that is nobody here wears a watch or needs one).  So I exhausted and promise more info later, but here we go...

Picture #1:  This is Peter and he is the Watoto sponsor child of the Sagunsky's from our church of WPC.  When we met him, we had to pull him from his studies for finals for secondary school.  He is an excellent student and he will be entering university to study Law and will be a lawyer in 5 more years.  Incredible young man and incredible opportunity because of the Sagunsky's and the Watoto church!

Picture #2:  These are girls from the second Watoto visit to our church, WPC two years ago.  Remarkably they remembered our girls names without being told what they were!  They have their hair shaved because when they get back from choir tour it is too much for the girls to care for their own hair, so it gets shaved off.  Very sad for us to know that, but for them it is a welcome relief from all the time it takes to care for it.

Picture #3:  Williams family here you go!!!  Here are your boys from two years ago!  I have cool stories to tell you about them, but I wanted to give you a brief photo to remember them by and my eyes are crossed from exhaustion.  Very cool boys, and they remembered you!

Picture #4:  This is a photo of one of the girls from Watoto choir who stayed at our house almost four years ago!  It is funny, she didn't remember Heather by face, but remembered us when she saw our girls!  I think that is the first person I have met who didn't remember Heather after meeting her for the first time!!!  (This is Russ talking of course!)

Picture #5:  You have no idea of the insanity of driving children around in Uganda, but this gives you an idea.  Let me just say, no seat belts, no rules, no "one bottom to a seat" rule.  It was simply too many people, in too small a car, on too bumpy of a road, with no air conditioning, for more time than what would be expected.  It was a better ride than Disney land for the kids, and a nightmare for the parents!

Picture #6:    This is Henry, the Comerchero family's sponsor Watoto child!!!  He is an incredible young man, and what a gift it was to meet him in person.  He was delivered a package from the Comerchero family from us, and he sends his love and gratitude in return.

Picture #7:  This is the Bloomquist family's child from Watoto that they sponsor.  I can't tell you the surreal moment it is to meet a young man and shake his hand and know that you saw his picture on a photograph and watch a family (Bloomquists) agree to send money to sponsor him through his high school years!  Our God is much too big for my brain to rap around this!  He is a remarkable young man, and the criteria I always use when I meet a young man is "would I let him date my daughter?"  I can honestly say that almost all of the men coming through Watoto, including those that our church family sponsors, I would let date my daughter.  (Always easier to say now than when the time comes, so don't get your hopes up Carmen or Faith!)  Okay, more later, I am too tired.

R & H + 5

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!!!! that is all so amazing:) sounds like so much fun!!
    Jessica Wink
    P.S. Faith is was wearing my shirt:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing opportunity!

    Thanks for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete